03 February 2016
Associate Professor of Pancreatic Cancer, Stem Cell Biology and Bioengineering
Three Group leader positions /Associate Professors within Stem Cell Biology at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Section for Basic Stem Cell Biology, Danish Stem Cell Center Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint three Associate Professors of Pancreatic Cancer, Stem Cell Biology and Bioengineering to The Novo Nordisk Foundation Section for Basic Stem Cell Biology (BasicStem) at the Danish Stem Cell Center (DanStem) to commence as soon as possible. The positions are for six years with possible extensions depending on the outcome of a peer reviews.
The Danish Stem Cell Center (DanStem) is an international research center at the University of Copenhagen. The overall scientific goal is to develop new stem cell-based therapeutic approaches, currently in the area of diabetes and cancer addressing basic questions in stem cell and developmental biology and seeking to identify the factors that govern the development of different cell types in the body. Read about DanStem atwww.danstem.ku.dk.
Job description and duties
DanStem is recruiting outstanding and ambitious candidates with important and original research contributions and the ability to develop strong research programmes. The three available positions are:
- Associate Professor of Pancreatic Cancer – particular interest in basic and disease-oriented pancreatic cancer biology. DanStem space available at the main center location at Panum Institute (www.danstem.ku.dk) or at BRIC (www.bric.ku.dk)
- Associate Professor of Stem Cell Biology – particular interest in addressing fundamental questions in stem cell biology by using single cell behaviour analysis
- Associate Professor of Bioengineering – particular interest in addressing fundamental questions in stem cell biology using bioengineering approaches. Experience with materials science and/or devices (e.g. microfluids) would be an advantage.
- The Associate Professors will be functioning as group leaders and are expected to develop a strong research program.
- The Associate Professors must be willing to synergize with other DanStem scientists and contribute to common activities at DanStem such as seminars and PhD courses.
- The Associate Professors are expected to take full responsibility for training and supervision of young researchers, for management of each of their own group, and for publication/dissemination of research results.
- The Associate Professors are expected to actively contribute to teaching activities and education activities
- Academic assessments
Terms of employment
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organizations. The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2013.
Applicants that are recruited from abroad are eligible for a special researcher taxation scheme.
For further information about the positions and DanStem please contact the Director, Professor Henrik Semb, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foreign applicants may find the following links useful: www.ism.ku.dk (International Staff Mobility Office) and www.ism.ku.dk/workingconditions/
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested in this position to apply.
Please submit the application with the required attachments by clicking on “Apply online” below. Only online applications will be accepted.
The application for the positions must be submitted in English and include the following:
- Application including reasons for applying for this post and a clear indication of the position you are applying for
- Curriculum vitae
- Relevant degree and educational certificates (Diploma)
- List of publications
- Research plan - a concise description of previous research experience and a summary of current and proposed research (5 pages)
- 5 publications you wish to be considered in the assessment
- The online form requires you to attach a teaching plan. This is not required for this position. Instead please upload documentation of your teaching experience or upload a blank document.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at jobportal.ku.dk.
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. Only online applications will be accepted. The closing date for applications is 23.59pm, March 15, 2016.
Interviews for this position will most likely be held on Mondag June 20, 2016 and Thursday June, 23 2016.
The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences comprises app. 7500 students (medical sciences, oral health sciences, pharmaceutical sciences and veterinary medicine and animal science), app. 1500 PhD students and app. 3200 employees. The Faculty creates new knowledge and recognition through its core activities: research, teaching, knowledge sharing and communication. With basic research fields ranging from molecular studies to studies of society, the Faculty contributes to a healthy future through its graduates, research findings and inventions for the benefit of patients and the community.