Professor of Developmental Biology
Link to the Serup Laboratory Homepage
Palle Serup and his research group have during recent years focused on the role of cell to cell signalling in the control of pancreatic endocrine development and on the role of key transcription factors in the regulation of beta cell specification. Also, he has, as the principal investigator of both EU and NIH sponsored projects, together with teams of European and American scientists been instrumental in expanding our knowledge of intercellular signalling events and cell-autonomous transcription factors in pancreatic development. Palle Serup has authored more than 100 scientific papers including 81 peer-reviewed original papers. His h-index = 38.
Awards and Honours
Palle Serup has received a postdoctoral fellowship from The Clayton Foundation for Research, Austin, Texas in 1990. For his contributions as grant reviewer Palle Serup has received the Mary Jane Kugel Award from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). He has served on the Medical Science Review Committee of the JDRF since 2001, and from 2007 to 2010 as Chairman of the committee for Innovation grants.
In 2010 Palle Serup was appointed Adjunct Professor in Developmental Biology of pancreas and islet cell differentiation at University of Southern Denmark.
Key Recent Discoveries
- 1: Horn S, Kobberup S, Jørgensen MC, Kalisz M, Klein T, Kageyama R, Gegg M, Lickert H, Lindner J, Magnuson MA, Kong YY, Serup P*, Ahnfelt-Rønne J*, Jensen JN. Mind bomb 1 is required for pancreatic β-cell formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 May 8;109(19):7356-61. Epub 2012 Apr 23. PubMed PMID: 22529374. *Corresponding authors.
- 2: Kalisz M, Winzi M, Bisgaard HC, Serup P. EVEN-SKIPPED HOMEOBOX 1 controls human ES cell differentiation by directly repressing GOOSECOID expression. Dev Biol. 2012 Feb 1;362(1):94-103. doi: 10.1016/j.ydbio.2011.11.017. Epub 2011 Dec 6. PubMed PMID: 22178155.
- Ahnfelt-Rønne J, Jørgensen MC, Klinck R, Jensen JN, Füchtbauer EM, Deering T, MacDonald RJ, Wright CV, Madsen OD, Serup P. Ptf1a-mediated control of Dll1 reveals an alternative to the lateral inhibition mechanism. Development. 2012 Jan;139(1):33-45. Epub 2011 Nov 17. PubMed PMID: 22096075; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3231770.
- Ahnfelt-Rønne J, Ravassard P, Pardanaud-Glavieux C, Scharfmann R, Serup P. Mesenchymal bone morphogenetic protein signaling is required for normal pancreas development. Diabetes. 2010 Aug;59(8):1948-56. Epub 2010 Jun 3. PubMed PMID: 20522595; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2911072.
- Jensen JN, Rosenberg LC, Hecksher-Sørensen J, Serup P. Mutant neurogenin-3 in congenital malabsorptive diarrhea. N Engl J Med. 2007 Apr 26;356(17):1781-2; author reply 1782. PubMed PMID: 17460236.