Gretchen Repasky: Chief Operating Officer
As a Chief Operating Officer (COO) at DanStem, Gretchen Repasky is part of the management team of the Center, that formulates and implements the DanStem vision and goals. In doing so, she cooperates with other units, centers and departments in research support. For focus areas, she leads, coordinates and supports the Research Platforms and Facilities, as well as fosters the professional development of the staff and facilitates internal and external information exchange. Gretchen’s work bridges among the scientific, technology, and administrative staff, thereby supporting the DanStem work environment and contributing to building its community.
Gretchen joined DanStem in 2018 from the Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM), the Finnish member of the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine, located at the University of Helsinki. Her expertise and previous experiences are in the coordination and management of research and research training activities, and organizational leadership, having worked with a variety of teams, including researchers at all career stages, technology platforms, administration, and external stakeholders and partner organizations.
Coordination and management:
- Institute leadership support and committee coordination
- Design, implementation and management of programs in international PhD recruitment and training and professional development for postdoctoral and senior researchers
- Management of external organization partnerships
Research and project management:
- Cancer biology, with a focus most recently on mentoring PhD and MSc students in their projects using chemical biology tools to probe questions about cell signaling mechanisms and drug resistance in leukemia
- Project management for academic-industry collaborations, multidisciplinary research projects, technology core unit set-up
- Project management support for infrastructure projects
Training and community building:
- Fostering of an interdisciplinary team science-based research, training and infrastructure community
- Organizing a student and postdoc community to enable a self-activating network and meeting of training needs creatively
- Designing and offering courses and symposia targeted toward the research community and focused on a wide array of scientific topics, including topics with an interdisciplinary focus, e.g., the Building Bridges series of symposia that bridge basic, translational, and clinical research, and transferable skills and career development topics, such as peer mentoring workshops
- Managing a doctoral training committee of group leaders responsible for the recruitment and follow-up of PhD students and offering student and postdoc advising,
- Developing creative approaches to how scientific staff interact with one another, by drawing on classroom teaching experience from her faculty career in the US
- Supporting the integration of experimental biology, computational biology and genomics research with information technology and informatics research to build a PhD recruitment and training program with interdisciplinary projects.
Gretchen's work at FIMM with PhD students, postdocs, group leaders and other research technology staff, as well as the administration team and institute director, put her at a cross roads of research, training, technology services, administration and external partnerships.
Connect with Gretchen on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/gretchenrepasky